- Responsible body:
- FIPAV - Italian volleyball federation
- Preferred team name:
- Italian national sitting volleyball team
- Team manager name:
- Massimo Beretta
- Team manager e-mail:
- Media person name:
- Marco Trozzi
- Media person e-mail:
- Responsible body website:
- Team specific website:
Team informationTeam history:
In 2013, Sitting Volley became part of the sports disciplines of FIPAV, which is recognized by the Paralympic Italian Committee.
The Italian Volleyball Federation, on the authority of the Paralympic Italian Committee of May 15, 2013, has set up the Sitting Volley Department that reports to both the World Paravolley Association (WPV) and the European Paravolley Association (EPV).
The FIPAV Sitting Volley structure, which is part of the National Teams Area, has carried out intensive training activities both within the affiliated companies, for development and promotion. The Mens Sitting Volley National Team took part in 2015 to two international events held in Italy together with the National Teams of Brazil and Croatia. In 2015 it was admitted to participate in the European Championships, which took place in Germany (Warendorf) during the first week of October.
- Massimo Barossi is the best known and more representative Italian player. He has conquered some personal titles like: "Best Italian player" or "Best Italian spiker" during the official tournaments with the Italian’s National team of Sitting Volleyball.
- Matteo Cavagnini. At the age of 14 he suffered the amputation of a leg because of a road accident. He has demonstrated a lot of tenacity and he began to practice Wheelchair basketball, winning several national and international competitions until he became the captain of the Italian National Team. After the end of his basketball career he decided to test a new sport and he’s now beginning to practice sitting volleyball with dedication and humility. After a short time he has been called in the National team.
- In March 2016, the Women National team participated in the Paralympic Qualifications in Anji, China.
In September 2016 an International Women Tournament was organized in the Grosseto province with the following Women National Teams: Italy, Croatia, Hungary and Slovenia.
FIPAV is laying the groundwork to promote sitting volleyball nationwide, using all possible channels.
The current Italian Championship shows such effort, with 10 teams competing for the national title.
The National Teams Staff, the Organizing and Technical Personnel work tirelessy to develop sitting volleyball on the entire Italian territory, showing all potential athletes the value of this sport.